March 16, 2011

Site Placement and Sugar

Permanent site is going to be in Amphur Tung Song, Jangwat Nakohnsrithammarat. It is a province on the east coast in the southern region of Thailand. And I leave in about 6 days. I could try to do a detailed version of everything I have done in the past month but, to be honest, I just don't feel like I could do it justice. I am feeling very "bullet-pointy" today so you all can enjoy the rest of the post via list format.

Stuff I've Done:
  • Got my site placement and visited my supervisor and potential host family
  • Found out a member of my graduate committee at UAF has been to my site
  • Visited a Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV) who is getting ready to finish up her two year term and gave the whole PC experience to me without the sugar coating
  • Been to 3 weddings/ reception dinners
  • Had my language proficiency test (I passed)

Stuff I HaveYet to Do:
  • Say goodbye to my host family in Ayutthaya
  • Learn to keep my face in check and not show negative emotion
  • Understand the difference between a "good" car honk and a "bad" car honk; I'm not even sure there is a "bad" car honk
  • Learn to cook like a Thai

Stuff I Still Need to Get Used to Here:
  • Waking up early
  • Eating rice for every meal
  • Eating more than three meals in a day
  • Sugar is practically used in everything
  • Riding my bike on a busy street
  • Coffee- 3 in 1 (instant coffee, sugar, and creamer)
  • Having Thais come up to me and compare skin color

Stuff I Love About This Country:
  • Taking 2 showers a day is acceptable and highly recommended
  • Taking the time to complete takes
  • Seafood
  • Fruit seasons (right now it is mango)
  • Everyone here smiles (regardless of how many teeth they are missing; which I think is from all the sugar they eat)

Thank you to everyone for all the support these past months. It means a tremendous amount to me when I receive an email, text or simple wall post. I will have a new address soon so keep your eyes out for that as well. 
Extra!!!: If you can tell me how many times I mentioned the word "sugar" in this post I will send you a genuine postcard and canome (Thai dessert with sugar).

4 comments:

  1. Hey Miss Lacey!! I'm going to try this again...just doesn't seem to post so if all of a sudden there are 7 posts...I guess it's just the time difference. So glad to hear that you are more inland than coastal...was kind of worried where you would be located. Tried to find info on Amphur Tung Song and there really isn't a lot. Sent you a package with 2.5 lbs of "CHEESE" so that should balance out the "SUGAR". It's finally spring time here...YYYAAAYYY!! Take good care of yourself and keep smiling ;) (at least you have all of your teeth)!
    Love & Hugs, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. What the heck? I posted, but it doesn't look like it got on here. At any rate - I think I counted 6 (or was it 7?)!! I'm going to look up your new place with Shelby this week. There is a slight chance of snow tonight - blech! I'm with Tiane - is it spring yet?! Keep up the good work - love, ed, eva & Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Lacy : I,m truly impressed with your progress with the Thai people, it is a beautiful adventure you will treasure forever..our modern Pearl Buck.
    I counted 5 sugars, however do to my habit of speed reading, I could have missed some. Being an up coming diabetic, the sugar in life can be be a bad habit to indulge in.....smoking a good 2nd bad habit.
    Planning to come see you next year, gathering as much information as we can before the trip. Keep smiling and the good work you are doing.
    Love. Gramps. Jerry/Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lace, We are so proud of you! Glad to hear that you passed your language requirement...knew you could do it. Grandma Slack is so proud of you and sends her Love...sounds like you are keeping very busy and need to practice the facial expressions...You are a person that is strong willed and can do anything you put your mind to.
    Your Sugar is way to much...I counted 7 sugars and grandpa said to add one more for "you sugar". Mango's are supposed to be very good for body fat...I'm sure they are sooooooooo good over there, but here they are green. I think i could get used to eating their way...sounds like it's about all the time.
    Stay well and we are awaiting your next update...With all our love, Grandma Marian & Grandpa Bill

    ReplyDelete