January 21, 2011

It seems there is some confusion as to who, what, where, when, why and how my role is going to be played out in the next couple years. To tell the truth I do not fully understand the extent myself but I will try to shine some light.

Right now, there are 66 trainees which have been divided into 6 sub-districts (Tambon) inside of the district (Amphur) Uthai. I am living in Tambon Uthai, Amphur Uthai, Jangwot Ayutthaya.We live with individual host families in the first 2 months of training which consists of cross cultural learning, safety and security, health, and language. It is full on immersion. After a week of orientation/staging we were placed in our host family without any knowledge of the language. I take that back... we knew how to say "Hello. My name is-----." And that was it. I didn't know what to think at first. I wasn't nervous until about the time I was getting in the car with my new family and they were asking me all sorts of questions that I couldn't answer. Since then we have been attending class from 8 AM until 5 PM which consists of language and assignment specifications. There are two groups: Community-Based Organizational Development (CBOD) and Teacher Collaboration and Community Outreach (TCCO). I am in the training class for CBOD and we are currently learning about the stakeholders and citizen communication strategies to reach the Thai Government. It begins at the individual level, then comes Mooban (village), Tambon (sub-district or cluster of villages), Amphur (district), Jangwat (province), then finally Thailand (which includes the Constitutional Monarchy and Parliamentary Democracy). More to come on that.

My host family is amazing! My mom is such a wonderful cook and see is always asking me if I am hungry. I learned the word for full right away. I figured since I can't handle spicy food that I would have a hard time. I have since learned I love it and surprised myself by how much I can handle. At dinner one night my mom actually said "pet! pet! (hot)" and reached over to grab the pepper off my spoon. Then I tried to explain the more spice I have the more accustomed I will get and I actually like it. Another night, I was putting this spicy oil on my rice and and my dad said "noy (little)." Yep, he was right on that one. Another thing that makes my family laugh is my inability to say the Thai word for '8.' No matter how hard I try I can't seem to get it. It sounds like a sheep's baa but with a 'p' at the beginning and your mouth is supposed to be in a huge grin. Oh well. As long as my family and I can laugh at it, that is what counts :) I have two older brothers and 2 older sisters who are all wonderful teachers. They are always telling me new words, very patient, and taking me to cultural events throughout the area. My younger sister and brother are so much fun too. The first night we had a ton of their friends over to hula hoop. I even got to show them how to play memory with some children's cards I brought from home. Everyone in this area is friendly and welcoming. If there is ever an awkward situation all one has to do is smile. It truly owns up to it's chuu-len (nickname) and I consider myself extremely lucky to be where I am and surrounded by such wonderful people.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! How wonderful Lacey! I enjoyed reading every word... I can't wait to hear more. Thanks for posting!
    Ruby :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing about your adventure...but would love more pics ;) Please tell your host family "Thank You" from me for taking such great care of you!

    Love & Hugs,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds wonderful lacey! i'm a little envious of your food adventures! thinking of you tooooooooooooo much! :) lots of hugs and kisses!

    ReplyDelete